This tutorial shows how to perform a CFD analysis for a gear pump with OpenFOAM®. The mesh overset technique is used to capture solid body movements and is particularly interesting for large displacements or rotation, where mesh deformation methods fail. The tutorial uses the overPimpleDyMFoam solver (pimpleFoam with overset technique) introduced since the 1706+ version of OpenFOAM.
- This tutorial is build for academic purposes and for helping the community to use the overset method of OpenFOAM.
- The tutorial is designed to properly use the PIMPLE algorithm based on tolerance.
- The tutorial works with 2nd order schemes (except for turbulence) and maximal CFL number of 5.
- The tutorial is delivered with a special python3 script for automatic residuals plotting.
- Gear revolution rate 950 rpm.
Calculation time :
- Around 7 h on 4 cores
Tutorial tested for : OpenFOAM® // 1912+ // 2006+. The tutorial is only working with openfoam.com versions of the code.
- The tutorial is designed to run on 4 cores but can be easily modified to be run on the number of core chosen by the user.
- Paraview (post-processing).
CFD-training does not give any warranty to the numerical results obtained within this tutorial due to the absence of verification or validation.